Northern Lights Russian Adventure
a quest to see the northern lights
March 31-April 10, 2018 (11 days)
Catching up with Northern Lights in Russia’s Arctic Circle
This winter and next are predicted to be the best for Aurora Borealis seasons for many years. Some scientists describe this period as Solar Maximum. It means the sunspot activity is at its height. The sunspots produce solar flares creating the Aurora Borealis when they hit the earth’s atmosphere. Aurora Borealis is usually seen in September and April in the sky above the Arctic and sub-Arctic regions what makes the Northern Russia and especially the Kola Peninsula ideal location for observing it.
Commencing in St. Petersburg, we visit some of the city’s most prominent historical and cultural sites before embarking on this remarkable arctic adventure.
One of the world’s most beautiful cities, St. Petersburg has all the ingredients for an unforgettable travel experience: high art, lavish architecture, wild nightlife, an extraordinary history and rich cultural traditions that have inspired and nurtured some of the modern world’s greatest literature, music, and visual art. From the mysterious twilight of the White Nights to world-beating opera and ballet productions on magical winter evenings, St. Petersburg charms and entices in every season.
Murmansk – Inside The Arctic Circle, Russia
Murmansk is Russia’s most northerly city, above the Arctic circle and right next to the North Pole. As the main city of the Kola Peninsula, it started as a tiny settlement and Arctic trading post. In 1916, under pressure from the British to establish a support port, Murmansk was founded.
Thanks to the influence of the Gulf Stream, the port is ice-free year- round. Homeport of Russia’s nuclear-powered icebreakers, visit the Nuclear Icebreaker Museum Ship
It is from Murmansk on the peninsular that travelers and expeditions set off for the North Pole, and Murmansk itself is the largest city within the Arctic Circle where darkness and permafrost rules in the winter. But you should not be put off by the location of the city as thanks to the Gulf Stream the city is not as cold in winter as, for example, in Siberia.
During the winter darkness, the Northern Lights over the snow-covered landscape are an eerie, magical sight. Russian emigre Ernest Beaux claimed that the inspiration behind his creation of the distinctive bouquet of Chanel No 5 was the fresh polar air of this region where he fought in 1920.
Excursion to Sami Village
Take photos dressed in national Sami clothes. Reindeer sledging. Lunch at the Sami village in traditional cuisine.
We visit the Red Square, an iconic symbol of Russia’s former military and political might with its eclectic mix of fascinating architecture, such as the ornate St Basil’s Cathedral’s magnificent onion-domed spires, the beautiful façade of the world famous GUM Department. Our touring programme also takes us to the grandeur of the Kremlin – the spiritual, historical and political heart of Moscow.
Experience the splendor of the Czars, vibrant Slavic culture and the expansive beauty of rural Russia : from Russia’s capital, Moscow to Peter the Great’s glittering city, St. Petersburg. Visit Red Square and St. Basil’s Cathedral‘s kaleidoscopic towers. Step inside the Kremlin and discover its imperial treasures. Follow an expert guide to discover the incredible treasures of the immense Hermitage Museum as you explore St. Petersburg, one of the loveliest cities.
- Round trip Economy airfare from Manila (CX and Finnair)
- Allegro train from Helsinki (for those extending to Russia from Finland) price subject to change till tickets purchased and paid
- First Class Hotel accommodation
- Hotel Taxes
- Meals as specified (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- English speaking Guide
- Meet & assist upon arrival/departure
- All tours & transfers in a modern A/C bus
- Entrance fees to sites as specified in itinerary
- Tours as specified
- Services of a tour director
- Economy Fare Airline Taxes (subject to change till paid and ticketed)
- For those from Finland supplement for return flight Moscow – Manila
- Business Class Taxes
- Murmansk Domestic Flight (Economy class with provision for 1 luggage at 23 kg each) Subject to change till ticketed
- Murmansk Domestic Flight (Business class with provision for 2 luggages at 32 kg each) Subject to change till ticketed
- Russian Visa Charges (subject to change)
- -standard processing
- express processing
- Visa service fee
- Tips to guides/drivers and other service personnel
- Universal Assist Travel Insurance 10 days
- Below 65 years old
- 65 years old and above
- Visa Application Form with Signature
- Passport valid for 6 months from date of departure
- 4 copies of recent passport-size pictures
- Certificate of Employment with Leave of Absence and Salary (if employed)
- If self-employed:
- Business Registration
- Income Tax Return of Business o Annual Declaration of Income
- Original and photocopy of Income Tax Return (Both Pesos and/or USD)
- Bank certificate of deposits and bank statements at least six (6) months back
- Photocopy of International Credit Cards
- Travel Insurance valid for 45 days with minimum of PhP2.5M coverage
- Marriage Contract / Affidavit of Consent. If not travelling with spouse, Affidavit of Support and Consent (signed and notarized by sponsor, if financially incapable)
- If married, copy of Authenticated Marriage Contract
- Birth Certificate
- Personal appearance of passenger
Terms and Conditions
- A deposit of US$500 ($800 if Business Class), deductible from the package price, and the visa-related fees, when applicable, are required upon reservation. This is to cover administrative expenses and is non-refundable and non-transferable. A photocopy of the passport bio-page (with six (6) months validity from date of departure) must be submitted.
- The following cancellation penalties shall apply should the participant decide to withdraw his/her participation after reservation:
- 50% of the package price, if cancellation is made four (4) weeks prior to departure;
- 75%, if cancellation is made three (3) weeks before departure;
- 100%, if cancellation is made two (2) weeks before departure.
- The cancellation request should be received in writing.
- Larry’s Classic Tours, Inc. (LCTI) reserves the right to rebook or cancel the tour immediately prior to departure. In such case, liability shall be limited only to the extent of refunding any payments already made by the passenger minus actual expenses already incurred, such as, but not limited to, visa and entry permit fees and cancellation charges of airlines, hotels and other tour providers. This will serve as full settlement of all obligations to the passenger.
- LCTI shall not be liable for injuries or damages beyond its control and without fault or negligence on its part.
- LCTI has contracted the services of other tour operators. This means that LCTI only acts as agent, and therefore, accepts no responsibility or liability in connection with losses or accidental expenses due to delays of schedules, overbooking, defaults or “force majeure” situations.
All tours and arrangements are subject to the general conditions specified by the contractor.
When making a tour booking, the passenger acknowledges and accepts the foregoing conditions.
Schedules, timings and prices are subject to change, as conditions so warrant.